Thursday, March 7, 2013

Warming winter stews


This cold weather has prompted me to make some warming stews. So last night after my lamb chop bones(no meat on these btw that had been eaten last week) had slow cooked in the crockpot for 24 hours I made lamb stew and used the liquid from the bones as the stewing liquid for the stew itself.   This stew has apple cider in it for the deglazing liquid that I put over the sauted vegetables and then browned saratoga lamb, butternut squash, pearl onions and prunes.  Spices included tumeric, cinnamon, cumin and fresh ginger.  So it has a warming but sweet flavor about it, excellent for the spleen and kidney yang and good for my women who have a history of miscarriage or luteal phase defect, plus you get the nourishment from the bone broth itself.

Take care and enjoy this cool weather but be sure to eat something warming.  I added the collard greens when I reheated it for lunch today.  The greens give us the minerals and help to balance out excess hormones and stagnation in our body and cool down any heat.